Monday, December 15, 2008

4 CT schedules, 3 cath placements, 2 trial voids, and very busy uro*ma!!

It has been a few days since I last wrote in here. So lets update shall we? I have been working over alot at work lately. Not because I receive overtime (i don't btw), but because my fellow MAs are either sick or going to funerals. I being the only MA at the office without kids I often feel obligated to stay for one of them even if it is not my late week. (we switch. every 4 weeks i have a 8:30a ~ 4:30 p shift) I do get royaly screws pretty much however because its never reciprocated. So on my wednesday 8:30 day after all the traitors (MAs) have left at 4p we (meaning me and the dr) still have 7 pts. Oh yes, 7 it doesn't sound like a whole bunch but when he inevitably would like a Trial Void on more than one of those pts. Its a bit of a time suck. Its usually a two person job. Its messy, and it sucks for the pt as well.
 So Im headed (*running*) to rm 3 which also happens to be our bx room to do a trial void on a 86 yr old pt with Alzheimer's. Not an easy feat. I look at the chart, shoot a very disappointed look to doc (*he shoots back the "Im sorry but Im not doing it look" back*) and head in. In short it took me about 25 mins to do a 5 min procedure, and i had to have the pts daughter help me keep the pt calm and still, she did a wonderful job as iam sure she does everyday with this gentleman, and luckily after only a few minutes he could urinate on his own so, yay! no more cath (for now)!!

After, the last 7 pts and 4 ct schedules, a trial void, and a shot. I still had dr out of the office at 5:30pm, lol our office closes at 4:30 and honestly thats pretty good for him. Its going to be a crazy  week. With xmas shopping and all that good stuff, so happy holidays and have fun shopping!!

I will leave you with this my favorite call of the week

PT: "I think I have a bladder infection, I came home and found some Pyridium, that should be ok to take right? I mean i have been taking them for the past week! Its not helping though" 

ME: "Well first, lets get a ua/c&s , in 48 hrs I can have results for you, Second, that pyridium is for burning, and pressure upon urination and not an antibiotic, and you need to stop taking that,... wait when did that expire? 

PT: "2003"

ME:*sigh*  "third, there are expiration dates for a reason. Take that bottle to the pharmacy and ask them to dispose of it for you."

PT:" So I can't take them? "





No comments: