Monday morning I was already stressed out before I walked in the back door of the office. I am not entirely excited about my new assignment, a new doctor to be "responsible" for...
Since the recent firing of an MA left us short here in the office, I have now been given the task of "being" Young Uro*docs' MA. Meaning I do all his charting, pt msgs, pharm calls, rx calls, BX kits, following him to some of the satellite offices , confirming his schedule, reminding him to call the office for msgs, tracking him down in surg, and all of the other random things he needs with the exception of scheduling his surgeries. I am usually up for a challenge, and this is really going to test my interpersonal/Medically professional skills. You see, Young Uro*docs' pts are figuratively (and some seriously) a few pills short of a full RX. They are considerably crazy and without any care. They call for the most ridiculous things and sometimes i want to pull my hair out. (that's a whole other blog for a later date!) However, I do care for my patients and I respect them if they respect me. *golden rule* = Happy Uro*MA!!
So recently , I am working with an elderly female patient ,whose body is so riddled with cancer that it makes her entirely frail in all aspects. She has all but given up the good fight, and I can't blame her a bit. She is in her 90s' and from what I can understand has led a fairly good life. But this cancer has taken away her will to thrive and it saddens me. The reason I didn't want to work in a nursing home or in oncology is that I really cannot hold myself together around people that are waiting for their "celestial departure". It really gets to me. It makes me think of my own parents and grandparents and i hate having to think about that cruel reality. I know, I know, everyone dies eventually; it is just nature. I just can't let it go though. I saw this woman in my office again today for a cath. removal and the daughter informed me that her mother (my pt) is now not even eating. She eats maybe a cup of milk and a few bites of oatmeal daily. I know it is hard on her family to see her like this. But honestly there is not much i can do and it was really out of my hands. In a specialty office such as mine, we focus so much on a localized system within the body, we are disassociated with the rest of the systems or the body as a whole (for the most part). I always feel for my patients that are going through anything that is potentially life threatening. I did advise her that she need to try to eat more as that will keep her strength up, so she can make it to the bathroom before she messes. She "seemed" happy with the thought of that and my only hope is that we eventually find the cure for cancer, it's too hard to lose the ones we love, the ones we like, and the ones we treat.
It really breaks your heart to see all of these pts with cancer. I would say 40% of our pts have prostate cancer. Most well managed with Hormone injections, or completely eradicated with prostetectomies. I would say 10 -15% of our pts have bladder cancer, and the remaining percentage of our pts are seen for various complaints such as incontinence and vasectomy consults.
I have recently began exploring the opportunities of leaving this office...
While i really do love what i do, the environment that i work in is probably not the best. I mean what doctors office besides mine, doesn't offer its employees Health insurance? I'm serious, no health insurance. (my fault for accepting this postion, also it is my first ma job out of school) I was mislead when I applied and accepted this position. I was told that after 90 days there was the possibility of insurance. What I wasn't told was that i would have to research and buy this insurance on my own and it was not supplied through my office... Yeah i've worked here two years and i have been to the ER twice in those two years, once for a horrible kidney infection and once because my blood pressure was almost 200/110 pulse 130 yep that was scary. So out of pocket i have paid for over $7,000 or more in medical bills. As a reminder, Medical Assistants are not really on the higher paid careers list! Most of us don't break $13.00 an hour. Yes, i am rambling on about many things in this blog, but hey, it's my blog and i can write what i like! lol On a brighter note, my fiance and i went with his parents to a small village in the UP Michigan and had a wonderful weekend last weekend! So many gorgeous shops and places to eat and all along the bay, it was awesome!!
So....Whats in store for me this week? I have no idea but i hope this week goes smoothly!! I can't take another stressful week....
P.s. I really am sorry about the rambling..
5 comments:
man they are going to miss you if you go, I'll bet in the months is takes to train and recruit a new MA, they will have lost way more income than just paying for your med insurance
I agree and so do most of the people in our office, but they wont budge, no insurance!
Yow! No health insurance. Are you planning to stay in uro or work in another area? What do you do for incontinence and in the vasectomy consults?
I am considering a position at a family practice. Our treatments vary, vas consults are left up to the dr.
I love how you write.
I will come back to respond to this when I can.
Post a Comment