Wednesday, May 27, 2009

History lesson....

A little bit of nostalgia...
2 1/2 years ago..

The day I graduated from College I thought, "This is going to be awesome!!"... 
I was slightly naive at the time..
Thinking that $10.00 an hour was amazing, and that I am going to be doing what I love to do, take care of people, being a Medical Assistant and then moving onto my RN when I could...
15 interviews and 3 job offers later, I took a position at the uro clinic..."this is going to be awesome!"

Present day,
300 foleys anchored, 700  procedures of various types, too many inj to count, and about approx. 3,700 charts later (seriously).
 this is what I am...
I am a Medical Assistant
Which also makes me the following...

I am a receptionist.
I am a pee/poo cleaner upper.
I am part slave.
I am a cath placer.
I am an underpaid peon.
I am an FMLA guru.
I am an office gopher.
I am an injection giver.
I am a scheduler.
I am a surgi tech.
I am a counselor.
I am a computer repair woman.
I am Anal Retentive. 

 ...the list goes on...

Im acutally not complaining (too much) I just was thinking about the fact that they (school) never prepare you for all the hats you have to wear and how often you wear multiple.... I can multitask with the best of them, but sometimes, you just have to step back and examine the surroundings, is it worth it? Im sure it will feel like that one day...

Alright sorry about the rant...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are your duties as a surgical tech and do they vary by procedure?

Uro*MA said...

While we do have actual surgi techs in our office, they are treated as MA's and vice vesa. We are expected to be able to set surg trays in a sterile fashion and help in all of our surgical procedures such as vasectomies. We function as normal surgical tech duties and also ma duties. We are all cross trained on most every job in our office so that even when people are out of the office we run as smoothly as possible.