One of my first pts for the day was a 50 something year old pt with severe urine retention. Poor guys' bladder was so distended he really looked like he was pregnant. Dr asks for a 16 fr coude foley + leg bag and a urine vol. count. So i accompany UROdr into the room and he turns to me as i am setting up and says "Hey uro ma (in a very heavy indian accent btw !) Have you ever felt a bladder this rigid before?" poor guy is lying on the table in pain and i of course am like "well no uro dr i haven't" "come feel this" he says uro dr takes my hand and presses (pretty hard) onto this poor mans bladder, it was so rigid it was amazing! So I thanked the man for allowing me to touch his poor stomach like that. He was cool about it. So we insert the foley and we take a sterile cath ua to r/o inf. attach said leg bag and then we wait. Uro dr says to the pt "how much urine do you think is in your bladder? " Pt states probably alot! So i wait....i emptied his leg bag a few times into a urinal and finally his bladder is is markedly less distended. I teach the pt how to empty his leg bag and we are on our way. Find uro dr and give him the grand total.... ready??? Pt had 1740 ml in his bladder. thats a pretty large retention, not the largest ive ever encountered, (once had a pt with 5000 ml retention) but still pretty significant! Pt was soo nice and pretty grateful for the relief of his bladder pain. LOL and this was all on monday, imagine the rest of my week? It was a long one for sure.
Yesterday I swear we must had a sale on vag exams (status post bladder sling) ! I did 5 before lunch (12pm)! I turn to young uro dr "do we have like a 1/2 off sale on Vag exams today? " lol young dr "yeah, and tomorrow we have a buy one get one free testicular exam!" oh my! young uro dr is pretty funny when he wants to be.
lemme leave you with this...
My fellow MA went to do a Prostate us on a pt today, pt states well how do you do the ultrasound ?
ma: through the rectum
pt: oh ok
comes back in after pt gets undressed
lifts the sheet to do the exam..
one thing missing,
pt has no rectum!
oh yeah he says
"i forgot to tell the dr that! "OMG!
seriously you forgot to put in you health history that you have a colostomy? I love it!!
Dr goes "oops!" lol well such is life.
apperanly dr didnt do a DRE!
So, how was your week?
1 comment:
Hi -I've been a frequent flier urology patient on and off for 3 years and so enjoy reading urology blogs/articles.
Never would've thought urine would mean so much to me. ;) I should say..urine flowing through working plumbing that is.
I go to a terrific uro office. The docs are great...especially mine and the staff, both clinic and outer office great too.
Couldn't imagine going through it all if they weren't. They put me right at ease...well as much as one can be when Bajingoland is on display. :)
I founf you through Urostream. Enjoy your posts and so am blogrolling you. :)
Post a Comment